The Brooklyn Community Foundation on Friday launched "Do Good Right Here," a volunteer initiative that aims to connect Brooklyn residents—old and new—with local nonprofits to do good right here!
The initiative kicks off today with a new website, www.DoGoodRightHere.org, where Brooklynites can sign-up to search for volunteer opportunities in their neighborhoods and across the borough.
The website will also include profiles of more than 40 Brooklyn neighborhoods, blogs about local volunteers’ experiences, resources for nonprofit organizations on volunteer management, a calendar of community events, as well as a “Do Gooder of the Week” column to recognize outstanding Brooklyn volunteers.
Registered users will be encouraged to log their completed volunteer hours on the site to create a tally of overall “donated” hours by Brooklynites.
During the official launch week, Community Foundation representatives will be at events throughout Brooklyn to promote the importance of local community service, guide individuals in registering on the new website, and discuss the issues and challenges affecting Brooklyn’s neighborhoods—and our nonprofit community’s innovative and effective programs and services taking on the needs of our 2.5 million residents.
“Do Good Right Here” Schedule of Events:
- Friday, June 1st at www.DoGoodRightHere.org
- Saturday, June 2nd at the Brooklyn Fleain Fort Greene, 10am-5pm (176 Lafayette Ave)
- Tuesday, June 5th at Brooklyn Industriesin DUMBO, 7-9pm (70 Front St) – During the in-store event, Brooklyn Industries will donate a percentage of sales to support the Brooklyn Community Foundation’s volunteer initiative. Brooklyn-based businesses Sixpoint Brewery, NY Distilling Company, Q Drinks, Brooklyn Roasting Company, and Brooklyn Salsa will provide complimentary refreshments for guests. Free! Simply RSVP by 6/1 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, June 7th at Discover Bed-Stuy Expoin Bedford Stuyvesant, 5-8:30pm (Boys and Girls High School, 1700 Fulton St)
- Saturday, June 9th at DeKalb Marketin Downtown Brooklyn, 10am-6pm (138 Willoughby St)