Police Investigating Early Morning Murder of 2-Year-Old on Putnam Ave

Police found baby dead in mother's arms; investigation continues

A two-year-old Bed-Stuy girl was found stabbed to death early Friday morning in a fourth-floor apartment on Putnam Avenue, officials said.

Cops received a 911 call at 4:13 a.m. from the building’s custodian, after he found the girl’s mother—identified by sources as Brandi Nwegbo—half-naked and yelling erratically on the roof of the building, located at 1078 Putnam Ave. between Broadway and Howard Avenue.

According to reports from police on the scene, the custodian rushed to the building early Friday morning after receiving several calls from tenants on the lower floors complaining of strange noises and water running into their apartments from an upper floor.

The custodian told police that when he arrived at the building he went directly to the roof and found Nwegbo alone, running around naked from the waist-down yelling, “He’s trying to rape me! He’s trying to rape me!”

When police arrived, Nwegbo had returned to her apartment and was crying and holding her young child who sustained fatal stab wounds to her neck and face.

According to police at the scene, the woman's apartment was covered in blood, water and glass from a broken fish aquarium—the apparent source of the flooding. Police could not yet confirm whether or not the woman was responsible for the child's fatal injuries, as there were no eye witnesses to the murder.

However, according to neighbors, Nwegbo, was known to exhibit behavior suggesting she was not mentally stable. Neighbors pointed to two recent incidents where the mother threw skates out of her window almost injuring a pedestrian, and she reportedly very recently had thrown her own living room couch down a flight of stairs.

Neighbors also reported to police they heard the two-year-old running back and forth in the apartment at around 2:30 a.m. that morning, but such a noise wasn’t unusual coming from the young child in the apartment at that time of the morning.

The victim’s mother was sedated and rushed to Woodhull Hospital. The baby was pronounced dead at Woodhull Hospital.

“There’s still a lot of unanswered questions they’re working on right now,” said an official from the 81st Precinct.

There are no arrests at this time, and the investigation is ongoing.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »