Listen: Put on your red dress, and slip on your high heels... and some of that sweet perfume, it sure smells good on you. Slide on your lispstick, and let all your hair down... 'Cause baby when you get through, I'm gonna show you!
--Johnny Gill, "My, My, My"
It's that time of year again: Valentine's Day. Well, after the flowers are delivered, the Godiva chocolates are devoured and the dinner date is complete, it's snuggle time! What better way to get "in the mood" than with a good old-fashion music playlist?
Here's your editor's pick (albeit, un-polled and unscientific) of the "Top-14 Sexiest Songs" to turn your Valentine's night steamy. Warning: Not for the faint at heart or anyone looking for gushy romance. This list is sex-ay!
1. "Inside My Love," Adventures in Paradise, Minnie Ripperton. From the hypnotic pulsing of the drums that open the song, to Minnie's sweet little playful and teasing voice, you can hardly believe she asks the question, "do you wanna ride inside my love?" Ummm, Minnie, let me find out you were a bad girl!
2. "Oh My God," Try This, Pink. Pink gives a list of interesting locations for lovemaking that, ahem, I will not repeat. But I guarantee you, by the end, you find yourself saying right along with her "Oh my god..."
3. "Say Yes," Floetic, Floetry. Ever had a crush and you felt like s/he might have felt the same way, but you weren't sure? Well, lead singer Marsha Ambrosius's incredible voice on this record is enough to convince any fella who might be on the fence about his feelings to say, "yes."
4. "Control," Come Clean, Puddle of Mudd. This is hard-rock-sexy at its finest. Whether you're into rock music or not, the beat and pulse of this "Puddle of Mudd" tune will have you in a trance and ready to lose control.
5. "Crown Royal," The Real Thing, Jill Scott. The song lasts all of about 1 minute and 48 seconds, but Jill Scott brings it. I can almost guarantee that, even if you don't drink, by the end of this song, you'll be wiping your forehead asking for a "Crown Royal on ice!"
6. "Satisfy," Bitter, Me'Shell Ndegeocello. First of all, this entire album is one of Me'Shell's best. Most of the songs on here are perfect for someone going through a bad breakup. But she has one song, "Satsify," that captures that moment between cursing out your lost love and redemption, when you slip back into thinking, "really, only YOU satisfy me."
7. "Is This Real," Is This Real, Lisa Hall. Lisa Hall may very well end up a one-hit-wonder. But at least during her 15 seconds, she pushed out a banger of a sexy song. Ladies, this song will have you wishing you could pole dance.
8. "Just Like a Baby," There's a Riot Goin' On, Sly and The Family Stone. Talk about some good old fashion soulful, naughty playfulness! Anyone ever say they will make you cry like a baby? On this record, Sly does. And after one listen, you will probably end up agreeing with him.
9. "Darling Nikki," Purple Rain, Prince. Ummmm, nuff said.
10. "Till The Cops Come Knockin," Urban Hang Suite, Maxwell. Maxwell, Maxwell, Maxwell, uhn, uhn, uhn. How do you do it every time? Every time.
11. "Crash Into Me," Crash, Dave Mathews Band. At first, it may seem strange to see this side of Dave Mathews. But as usual, Dave will convince the unconvinceable of his passion and incredible artistry, all wrapped in a little naughty word play.
12. "Just to Keep You Satisfied," Let's Get it On, Marvin Gaye. Most would have chosen "Let's Get It On," or "Distant Lover," (and I almost did). But Marvin's repertoire is so much greater than many would guess. And this right here, is one of his sexiest gems-- Marvin, show 'em how it was done in the 70s!
13. "System," Queen of the Damned OST, Chester Bennington. Feel like working it out on the dark side? Well, Chester Bennington will hit just the right chords in this sultry banger.
14. "My Torture," Wikked Lil' Girls, Esthero. I'm not so sure Esthero meant for this song to be so sexy, considering she's talking about someone who tortures her. But then again...
Have any songs you'd like to add to the list? We're all waiting!