It's that time of year again: Valentine's Day. Well, after the flowers are delivered, the Godiva chocolates are devoured and the dinner date is complete, it's snuggle time! What better way to get "in the mood" than with a good old-fashion music playlist?
Here's your 2013 editor's pick (albeit, un-polled and unscientific) of the "Top-14 Sexiest Songs" to turn your Valentine's night steamy. If you thought the 2011 list and 2012 list were hot, wait until you play this one!
Warning: This list is not for the faint at heart or anyone looking for gushy romance. This list is sex-ay! (In no particular order).
1. "Love to Love You Baby", Donna Summer—She was known widely as one of the preeminent disco queens of the 70s. But if you really know Donna and her music, you know she was a little racier than disco’s norm… In this song, Donna's wails, suggestive moans and breathy improvisations tease her audience, sending even the most conservative of couples into the slinkiest never neverland.
2. "She Rides", Danzig-- Metal meets country in this guitar-laden, sexy gem about how “she rides.” If your idea of a turn-on is adventure—that is, riding on the back of your lover's Harley Davidson, as it zooms down an open road with nature’s beauty speeding past you in every direction-- then this song is right up your alley! There’s a thin line between lust and full-on danger. And this song draws that line.
3. "Real Good Hands", Gregory Porter—If slow dancing and old-fashion romance is your thing, then this song was made for you. This Grammy Award-winning artist's (from Bed-Stuy!) voice and crystal-clear elocution over a single piano, drum and trumpet give this song a simplicity that is sweet with the most subtle sex appeal.
4. "Dive", Usher—If you haven’t yet heard this song off of Usher’s latest album, “Looking 4 Myself,” then you are missing out on one of his most sensual ballads to date. “I know you think I’m afraid to take a chance and go to the deep end,” he says. “But I promise girl, I ain’t afraid.” And no, he doesn’t want to just take a dip; he wants to dive! This is one of those songs where, although he doesn’t quite say it, he’s saying it all! Sex-ay.
5. "My Ideal", Donald Byrd— You weren’t even paying attention to his overtures. And even when he started talking, you still planned on ignoring. But wait. What did he just say? He’s got lyrics, and he's making you smile. Before you know it, you're hooked. Donald Byrd’s got a way with words, especially when he’s communicating with that lovely trumpet of his. This song will hook you.
6. "Closer", Nine Inch Nails—Raunchy, aggressive, sizzling, hot! Already almost twenty years old, this song starts out with a syncopation that simulates a racing heart beat. Not long after, the group’s lead singer, Tresnor, flips the dirtiest lyrics that make you want to cover your eyes— but not your ears! You’re going to want to hear everything he’s saying as he stirs your imagination and gets you ready for… that cold shower you’re going to want to take once the song is over.
7. "Get Down Make Love", Queen—Lead singer Freddie Mercury is not playing in this steamy hot classic, made by arguably one of the greatest rock bands of all time. The only thing to rival Mercury’s delivery of this blatant sexual come on is the electric guitar, which seems to be having a conversation all its own. “You say you’re hungry? I give you meat!” (Uh oh)…
8. "Cruisin’", D’Angelo—One of the best remakes of 21st Century! D’Angelo took Smokey Robinson’s 1979 hit and baked it again, but this time added a few more ingredients: a finger-full of foreplay, a dash of daring, a cup of come-hither and two shakes of seduction.
9. "Do Me Baby", Prince—“Here we are, in this big old empty room… staring each other down. You want me just as much as I want you. Let’s stop foolin’ around. Take me baby, kiss me all over. Play with my love. Bring back what’s been in me for far too long, baby you know that’s. All. I’ve. Been. Dreaming of! Do me baby, like you’ve never done before.” With Prince, there’s no need for extra words. His words say all that need to be said.
10. "Climax", Slum Village—Actually, it was a tie between this song by Slum Village and “2u4u.” And really it all came down to a toss of a coin. It’s a special thing when Hip Hop gets sexy. Because it’s one thing to rhyme raunchy (anybody can do that), but it’s another skill in hip hop to be able to turn a woman on while not offend. This song does this, as the group’s artists, J Dilla, Baatin and T3, rap about every man’s ultimate fantasy: a ménage a trois.
11. "Pour it Up", Rihanna-- Any responsbile adult might lock this song up, far far away from the nubile ears of the millions of teens who idolize this pop star (it's a stripper's anthem, for god's sake!) But it's too late, because it's already a commercial success. How low can bad-girl Rihanna go? *rolls eyes* Apparently not low enough. And a whole lot of men -- young and old -- love her for it. Besides, you can't front on this sultry banger: Rihanna is unapologetic and the production is hot-t-t-t!
12. "Whole Lotta Love", Led Zeppelin-- Again, this is for my rock/metal heads who want a whole LOTTA love. If the lyrics aren’t suggestive enough for you, throw on some headphones and take a listen that way. Was it Rick James who said, “Cocaine’s a hell of a drug?” Umm, well, these guys are on some kind of high. But guess who benefits while staying drug-free? You!
13. "Nasty Girl", Vanity Six— Warning! Danger! Watch out! The beat on this song is so sexy and hypnotic, that when played at a club, it has been known to cause women to jump up after the first bar and proceed to dance like they’re the sexiest thing just fallen from heaven, when in fact they are not… But I guess for men, that’s not such a terrible thing???
14. "Moments in Love", Art of Noise—This song finally made it! It got squeezed out of the 2011 and 2012 sexiest song list, only because it was so obvious. But it definitely deserves a place amongst the most erotically provocative, and so here it is. If you haven’t already heard this song and made out to it at least once, you just may have been living under a rock. Moments in Love is a classic anthem of arousal!