The kindergarten application period opened in New York City, beginning January 9, 2012 through March 2, 2012. All students entering kindergarten in September 2012 must submit an application.
Click here for the kindergarten admissions flyer. The flyer has more information about how to submit your application.
The kindergarten admissions process is school‐based, but there is a standard timeline for all schools and there are citywide guidelines for eligibility and admissions priorities. Families must submit an application for kindergarten admission, even if they are applying to their zoned school.
Visit the Calendar and Events page to see important dates and deadlines in the kindergarten admissions process.
How to Apply
During the kindergarten application period (January 9 – March 2, 2012), visit your zoned school and any other school(s) of interest for which you are eligible to fill out an application.
Bring your child's birth certificate or passport, and two documents which provide proof of residence. You can find a list of acceptable documents for proof of residence on the kindergarten admissions flyer.
How to Find Your Zoned School
You can use the School Search tool to find your zoned school. Click here for instructions. If you have further questions, call 311.
Zoned schools will give priority to students who live in that zone, as they have in the past. Schools will make assignments according to the following priorities, listed from highest to lowest:
- Zoned students with a sibling who will be in grades K-5 at the school in 2012-2013;
- All other zoned students;
- Students residing in the school’s district but outside the school’s zone, with a sibling who will be in grades K-5 at the school in 2012-2013;
- Students residing outside of the school’s district with a sibling who will be in grades K-5 at the school in 2012-2013;
- All other students residing in the school’s district but outside the school’s zone;
- All other students.
For more information about kindergarten admissions, please call (718) 935-2009 or email ES_Enrollment@schools.nyc.gov .