WHEN/WHERE: The festivities begin Saturday, October 6, at 10:00 a.m., with the Opening Ceremony and Tohma Y. Faulkner Community Awards, taking place outside, on Fulton Street (Between Brooklyn and New York Avenues)
WHY GO: From the opening awards ceremony, honoring our local unsung heroes, to the Studio Strut, to Savor Bed-Stuy, to Restoration Rocks, the two-week-long festivities, from October 6- October 20, offer everything you need to take advantage of the culture, class, vibrancy and fun of Bedford-Stuyvesant. Go here to see the full lineup of activities.
HOW MUCH: Free
WHAT: Restoration Rocks Music Festival Starring MC Lyte and Brand Nubian, with special guests jessica Care moore, Martin Luther and Maimouna Youssef
WHEN/WHERE: Saturday, October 6, 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., 1368 Fulton Street (Between Brooklyn and New York Avenues)
WHY GO: Entering its sixth year, Restoration Rocks is a FREE day-long music concert of some of the most dynamic emerging and established artists performing on the Brooklyn stage. This year's artists are Maimouna Youssef, Martin Luther, Jessica Care Moore with Special Guest from Black Women Rock, Brand Nubian and MC Lyte. Hosted by:Tai Allen of ViceLounge and Dr. Aletha Maybank, MD, MPH, Assistant Commissioner, NYC Dept. Of Health and Mental Hygiene
HOW MUCH: Free
WHAT: Exhibit Opening: "HEALINGS"
WHEN/WHERE: Opening Reception is on Sunday, October 7, 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Restoration Plaza's Skylight Gallery, 1368 Fulton Street, 3rd floor
WHY GO: HEALINGS addresses and explores multiple aspects of "evidence-based art." The term encompasses a growing body of research, employing rigorous standards that support the assertion that art heals.
HOW MUCH: Free
WHAT: It's a Jazzy Weekend in Bed-Stuy!
- Oct 5, 8-10 PM – Lonnie Youngblood, JAZZ966, 966 Fulton St. @ Grand Ave., $25, info: 718.638.6910, www.jazz966.com
- Oct 5, 9-11 PM - vocalist The Lovely Gayle Turner, BrownstoneJAZZ at Sankofa Aban Bed & Breakfast, 107 Macon St. @ Nostrand Ave., $20, info: 917.704.9232, email@example.com
- Oct 5, 10-2:00 AM - Open Jam Session featuring Gerry Eastman Quartet, Williamsburg Music Center, 367 Bedford Ave., @ Williamsburg Bridge, no cover-2 drink minimum, info: 718.607.4296, www.wmcjazz.org
- Oct 6, 9 & 10:30 PM - TK Blue Quartet Mostly Monk, Sistas’ Place, 456 Nostrand Ave @ Jefferson St., $20-advance, $25-door, info: 718.398.1766, www.sistasplace.org
- Oct 7, 2:30 PM - Afternoon of Classical Song with Steel Pans, Violin, Classical Guitar, Pianists, and Classical Singers, Janes United Methodist Church, 660 Monroe Street @ Malcolm X Blvd., donation $20, info: 718.453.2316
- Oct 8, 7:15 & 9:15 PM –Rudi Mwongozi and the RLJ Trio and Friends, Jazzy Mondays at For My Sweet, 1103 Fulton St. @ Classon Ave, $10, info: 718.857.1427, firstname.lastname@example.org
WHEN/WHERE: Sunday, October 7, 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Therapy Wine Bar, 364 Lewis Avenue
WHY GO: It's a book review called 'Producers Brunch' to discuss the book, "PRODUCED BY FAITH, by DeVon Franklin. Whether you've read the book or not, this is an excellent event if you're interested in the film industry. The book is about faith and how we, as creative producers of art, should allow God to lead. It goes deeper into the way that God deals with us according to the process of movie making. Join the discussion! A pre fix brunch will be served.
HOW MUCH: $20. To purchase tickets, go here.