After more than a decade of growing complaints by Bed-Stuy residents to "fix Nostrand Avenue," finally, on Monday, May 14, construction will begin!
Finally, Nostrand Avenue -- the street which serves as a major artery and through-way in Bed-Stuy for traffic running north-south, from Flushing Avenue to Atlantic Avenues -- will begin receiving the much needed TLC it deserves.
The New York City Department of Design and Construction will oversee the capital construction project and has designated the major undertaking “HWK129 Nostrand Avenue Project.”
The total project will cost $23,508,884, take place Mondays through Fridays, from 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., last 2 ½ years (concluding in fall 2014) and will be administered in three phases:
Phase I: Nostrand Ave between Greene and Flushing
Phase 2: Nostrand Ave between Atlantic and Halsey
Phase 3: Nostrand Ave between Halsey and Greene Ave
If you’ve already noticed a disruption in traffic from construction on Nostrand Avenue over the past two months, and you are thinking, “But, I thought they already started repairs.” That’s not DDC nor DOT; it's the National Grid and Con Edison. Both agencies have been clearing out pipes and readying the internal infrastructure to prepare for the construction scheduled to begin on Monday.
Scope of Work:
- Major Roadway reconstruction
- Removal of trolley tracks, installation of water main, new hydrants, new pavement, manholes, installation of storm sewers and sanitary sewers
- Bioswales (tree pits) will be installed; storm water from the street will flow in the bioswale and water the trees and plants; it’s designed to drain down quickly, and can reduce street flooding during storms.
- New pedestrian ramps, curbs and sidewalks will be constructed
- The installation of new traffic lights, street lighting and trees
- There will be an installation of bus stops (on the select bus service), meant to improve transportation and flow of traffic
- There will be advanced notification to public and traffic enforcement agents of specific construction on specific days
- Merchant deliveries will not be allowed in active construction zones
- Parking may be temporarily restricted (fewer parking spaces)
- Certain operations will be noisy
- There will be some water service interruptions
- A rodent survey will be performed prior to construction; there will be rodent control
- Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times
- Driveway access may be temporarily restricted in order to perform certain work
- Bus stops and some bus routes may be moved or changed during the course of the construction. Signs and directions will be posted showing the new stops and/or routes.
Note: Some Water Interruptions
During the course of this project, if you live off of the Nostrand Avenue corridor, you may experience some water service disruptions. You will receive written notice from DDC by the afternoon of the day before service interruption.
Also, water may be discolored by sediment that has built up in older pipes. If this occurs, run only cold water until it appears clear. The DDC suggests you store drinking water to have available in our home or business for the period that water service is suspended.
If your water service is not restored by 6:00 p.m., if you witness sidewalk violations, parking violations, or have property damage concerns, please call 311, available 24 hours a day. Ask for the Community Construction Liaison at the DOT. Then ask to speak to Maria Centeno, director of the Office of Community Outreach and Notification for the Nostrand Avenue Project.
For more information on the Nostrand Avenue Project, visit www.nyc.gov/dot, and search “HWK1129 Nostrand Avenue Project.”
More contacts for the HWK1129 Nostrand Avenue Project:
Robert Yueh, Director, DDC Borough Construction Office
Sanjay Patel, DDC Senior Program Administrator