1. M Line - Weekday and Weeknight Planned Service Change-- All times until early 2013, M trains skip Knickerbocker Av station in both directions.
• Use the Central Av or Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs M stations or DeKalb Av L station instead.
• Use the B54 bus for connections between Knickerbocker Av and Central Av, where M service is available, or Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs, where L and M service is available, or Myrtle Av, where J service is available.
2. On Monday, January 14, at 10:30 a.m., The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) will hold a public hearing for the proposed Bedford Historic District. The hearing will be held in the 9th Floor Conference Room at 1 Centre Street, Borough of Manhattan. Over the past few years, community groups and elected officials have lobbied the LPC to designation of the proposed district. As a result of these actions, LPC staff re-surveyed all of Bedford-Stuyvesant in the spring of 2010 and found over 8,500 building they deemed to be landmark-worthy. Bedford Stuyvesant was declared one of New York City’s top neighborhood preservation priorities by the Historic Districts Council for their 2011 “Six to Celebrate” program. The residents of Bedford-Stuyvesant are overwhelmingly in favor of the designation of the Bedford Historic District. They also look forward to the swift consideration and designation of additional districts within greater Bedford-Stuyvesant, including, Stuyvesant East, Stuyvesant North, and Stuyvesant West. For further information go here.
3. Barclays Center Event Schedule This Week:
- The Brooklyn Nets play the Toronto Raptors, 7:30 p.m.
- The Brooklyn Nets play the Atlanta Hawks, 7:30 p.m.
4. On Thursday, January 17, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Bridge Street Development Corporation, located at 456D Nostrand Ave, will hold a free workshop on “Reasons for a Loan Modification Denial.” Non-profit housing counselors will help participants understand why loan modification applications are denied; learn about the Net Present Value Test (NPV) and its effect on your application; learn how to evaluate your application before submission; and learn how to appeal a denial. To register, call 718-636-7596, ext 14 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Did you serve in the military? If so, are you unemployed or underemployed? Are you living in a shelter or with family or friends? Do you need interview clothing? If so, this Thursday, January 17, attend the Veteran Symposium to received assistance with this and other job-related issues. The symposium is free and will be held from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., this and every Thursday at 665 Willoughby Avenue between Marcus Garvey Blve and Throop Avenue. Refreshments will be served.