1. On Monday, January 21, comedienne, actress and tv personality Phyllis Yvonne Stickney will give a special MLK Day guest performance at “For My Sweet,” located at 1103 Fulton Street (Between Classon Ave and Claver Pl) in Bedford-Stuyvesant. She will perform two sets at 7:15 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. to RSVP, email JazzyMondays@gmail.com.
2. Alternate side parking (street cleaning) regulations will be suspended Monday, January 21 for Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday. All other regulations, including parking meters, remain in effect.
3. The third annual 72-hour Martin Luther King Work Project currently is in full swing! Your volunteer service is needed to give back in a meaningful way. Please join 500 Men Making a Difference at the Amethyst Women's Project Inc. a not-for-profit that serves woman and children with HIV/AIDS, substance abuse and domestic violence issues, located at 1907 Mermaid Ave. in Brooklyn. The project, which started on Saturday, January 19, will continue through Tuesday, January 22. For more information, contact Wayne Devonish at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 917-297-2365.
4. The Brooklyn Philharmonia Chorus is looking for new singers for its Spring 2013 season. The final two auditions will be held on Tuesdays January 22, and 29 at First Presbyterian Church, 124 Henry St. in Brooklyn Heights. Easy access by subway - one block from Clark Street stop on 2, 3 trains and a few blocks from Borough Hall stop on 4, 5, R trains. We rehearse on Tuesdays from 7:30-10:00 p.m. (with a 15-minute refreshment break). Program for the Spring 2013 concert includes Schubert's Mass in G, Leonard Bernstein's The Lark, and a medley of Stephen Sondheim Broadway show tunes.
5. Tax time is coming and the Brooklyn Cooperative Federal Credit Union and the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) will be offering free tax help to low- to moderate-income residents of Bedford Stuyvesant this week and in the weeks to come! To see a schedule of locations and times, go here.