1. Black Veterans for Social Justice, Inc. proudly invites you to Bedford Stuyvesant's First Memorial Day Parade! The event starts at 11:30 am- 3:00 pm at Restoration Promenade, 1368 Fulton Street, Brooklyn. Come support the area’s local veterans and give the parade the support and presence it needs!!
2. The : Aviator Sports and Events Center is excited to announce the arrival of the 3rd Annual Kings County Fair from May 17-28, 2012! The community event will once again include a variety of rides and games for kids of all ages, tasty treats including corn dogs, cotton candy, funnel cakes and much more. The years' Fair will also feature a new super spectacular ride from Italy and the only one in America - The Stinger, the World Famous High Flying Pages aerial trapeze show, Miss Vicenta and her Royal White Bengal Tigers and equestrian Artistry performed by The Riding Donnerts with Miss Mercedes Ballerina on Horseback. General admission is $5 plus a varying cost per ride. Daily hours of operation, pricing and promotional information can be found here!
3. Spend the holiday in Prospect Park! The Audubon Center is open with free admission. In the Children's Corner, play in the yard at Lefferts Historic House or take a tour of the house and see more than 200 years of history. The historic Carousel, celebrating its 100th birthday this year, is also open all afternoon for rides. The Carousel is $2 per ride. The Tennis Center is open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Click here for information about hosting a picnic or barbeque in the Park.
4. : Members of the DanceAfrica 2012 company Adanfo Ensemble and Chuck Davis will the second of two workshops in the dance and music of Ghana at 30 Lafayette Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217 (Lepercq Space). Space is limited: pre-payment is required. Tickets are not available at the box office. Call 718-636-4130 x.1, to purchase tickets. Adult Workshop Intermediate to advanced dance experience, Mon, May 28, 11am—12:30pm ($12).
5. Coney Island kicked off its summer season on Thursday and is featuring a list of expanded restaurants, activities and rides at its amusement park:
- Scream Zone expanded with two new rides. The new Boardwalk Flight is a 110-foot free-fall ride that will propel riders over the boardwalk at speeds reaching 60 miles per hour and the Coney Island Raceway features 900 feet of track with switchback and hairpin curves.
- Reopening on the boardwalk this summer is Paul's Daughter, Ruby's, and Lola Star after having made significant investments to improve their spaces.
- Nathan's Famous has expanded its presence on the Boardwalk, and the Brooklyn Beach Shop will provide a new retail experience.
- Tom's Restaurant, a longtime Brooklyn establishment from Prospect Heights will open on the Boardwalk next month
- Grimaldi's, one of Brooklyn's legendary pizza places, will open a store on Surf Avenue.
- Flicks on the Beach, a free outdoor film series will return, as will the traditional Friday Night Fireworks and the Seaside Summer Concert Series.
- Additional improvements to the area this season include a major refurbishment of the Cyclone Roller Coaster to make it faster and smoother, improvements to the campus of Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park, and new games and entertainment on Jones Walk.