1. Need a good laugh? Then come check out Mo’s Sunday Comics Weekly Revue this and every Sunday where you’ll find good food, good music and plenty of laughter. This Sunday, January 3, enjoy comedian Dave Lester and Friends as they host a FREE comedy revue at Mo’s, located at 80 Lafayette, off of S. Portland, from 9:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Seating is limited, so call (718)797-2849 for Reservations.
2. Enjoy the first annual “Black Artstory Month” as it celebrates and honors the talents, creativity and legacy of contemporary African American artists in Fort Greene with a series of "art exhibitions, film screenings, lectures, performances and hands-on art making activities," throughout the month of February. The festival will take place along Myrtle Avenue in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn at various locations.
3. Preview the life and portraits of Dr. Martin Luther King at Medgar Evers College, located at Cecil Williams - David Wilson1st Floor, Room L12 - Academic Building 1 - 1638 Bedford Avenue. The exhibit is based upon the featured artists’ rendition of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., some of whom personally met Dr. King. Gallery tours by appointment only: Please contact Izell Glover at (718) 270-4920. Presenting Artists include Indira Bailey, Izell Glover, Marion Howard, William Jones, Otto Neals and Donovan Nelson. From 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
4. It’s that time again: time for the 15th Annual BAMKids Film Festival! This year’s lineup, tailored for children ages 2-10, showcases a total of 76 films from 24 countries—with most films in their New York, US, or world premiere screening. Highlights of the 2013 Festival include “Animation Extravaganza,” an all-animation program for ages 7-9, six international features, and two short film programs for the youngest audience members, ages 2-5. BAM Rose Cinema is located at the Peter Jay Sharp Building, 30 Lafayette Ave. The Schedule for Sunday, February 3:
- 10am & 12pm Shorts Program: Circle of Friends (Ages 2--5)
- 10:10am Feature: Ploddy the Police Car Makes a Splash (Ages 4--7)
- 10:15am Shorts Program: Animation Extravaganza (Ages 7--9)
- 11am Feature: Magic Silver 2 -The Quest for the Mystic Horn (Ages7--10)
- 12pm & 2:30pm Live Performance: The Suzi Shelton Band (All ages)
- 12:15pm Feature: Kitty Mama (Ages 7--10)
- 12:30pm Shorts Program: Maybe It's Magic (Ages 8--10)
- 2pm Shorts Program: Creative Critters, Clever Kids (Ages 5--8)
5. Want to watch the Superbowl with a spicy twist? If so, then come check to Freddy’s Bar, located at 627 5th Avenue in Park Slope, from 5:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. This is the mother of all Superbowl parties, and it’s FREE! Watch the game on a big screen projection and eat from their chili contest (during half time). The winner gets a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey. One free drink for all entries!