For locals in Bedford-Stuyvesant, the good news is the bulk of local markets, groceries, pharmacies and convenience stores on your block are clean by state health standards.
But a lot are not.
According grocery store inspections for the area complied from state's Department of Agriculture and Markets, 30 markets failed their most recent inspection and 87 markets failed at least one inspection in 2012, which mean each was flagged for some issue that could make people sick.
Three markets were cited for having three or more of these health-hazard, "critical" deficiencies.
That included Stay Fresh Grill, at 889 Broadway, which failed inspection on January 19, 2013, with four deficiencies including hand washing sinks lacking hot water, around 200 rat droppings found on basement stairs and floors and rice and beans that had to be destroyed by inspectors for unsafe temperatures.
RELATED: 5 Things You Should Know About Market Inspections
The recent failure was only the market's second inspection. It passed an earlier visit in August 2011.
The manager of the store could not be reached for comment.
RELATED: Pols Push to Shutter Vermin-Infested Food Marts
Meanwhile, The Fulton Deli Grocery, located 1369 Fulton Street, was flagged for three deficiencies, including a five-pound bag of dog food that was defiled by rodents, a dirty deli slicer that was caked in food residue and up to 20 mouse droppings found on retail shelves.
For Bed-Stuy Patch, we collected data on 522 markets in the area, ranging from major chain supermarkets to pharmacies and bodegas.
La Placita Olvera Deli, at 832 Broadway, also had three deficiencies, including 10 pounds of moth-infested Goya White Hominy Corn, a dirty, moldy deli slicer and up to 50 rat droppings on the floor in the rear food storage area.
The following 10 markets had at least two critical deficiencies in their last visit:
- 1164 Deli & Grocery, located at 1164 Broadway Ave
- Charlies Deli, located 1492 Fulton St
- 1235 Broadway Deli Grocery, located at 1235 Broadway Ave
- S&Z Supermarket & Deli, located at 753 Marcey Ave
- 308 Patchen Deli & Grocery, located at 308 Patchen Ave
- Jhony Deli & Grocery, located at 829 Gates Ave
- JDJ Enterprise, located at 88 Tompkins Ave
- G Line Deli Grocery, located at 292 Nostrand Ave
- Odyssey African and West Indian Market, located at 1124 Fulton St
- Happy Deli Grocery, located at 1443 Fulton St
And 15 more markets had at least one critical violation.