After successful installations at various institutions, in addition to garnering press from prestigious media outlets, The Dandy Lion Project is back by popular demand with requests for more installations in the States and abroad.
If you are a photographer or filmmaker with in an interest in this subject matter, you are invited to submit work for consideration. But the deadline is today, Thursday, August 15!
Founded in Fall 2010, The Dandy Lion Project explores the embodiment of style, sophistication and a commitment to culture via dramatized Black masculinity. Consisting of several platforms including a traveling exhibition and forthcoming book, this initiative is an examination and approbation of the contemporary dandy in African Diasporan settings. Dandy Lion is an homage to the fashionable urban gentleman – an African Diasporan man of style, an urban connoisseur of sophistication and a contemporary man of SWAG.
WHO CAN SUBMIT:
Photographers and filmmakers based in the U.S. and abroad.
In order for your submission to be considered complete, please forward ALL of the items below.
NOTE: Write your name and DANDY LION in SUBJECT LINE.
1. Please submit 5-10 jpeg images via Flickr with a description for each piece including (title, medium, dimensions, date(s) of completion). Links should include option to download various sizes including large, hi-res files.
2. CV or Resume
3. Artist Statement – as it relates specifically to the project’s topic.
4. Brief bio
5. Vimeo Link: For films, please upload to vimeo and establish privacy settings if necessary. (Must be Quicktime compatible)
6. Info about Dandy Lion - Each submission should also include the Name (or Alias) of each subject(s).
TWO TYPES OF SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR CONSIDERATION:
• Pre-existing work on the topic.
• New work created specifically for the project.
I'm interested in photographs and films that convey the following (but not limited to)
· Sapeur in the Congo
· Sapeur in Europe
· Black dandies in urban landscapes and metropolitan areas.
· Black dandies in professional environments.
· Black dandies in home environments.
· The closets of Black dandies.
· Black dandy pastimes/leisure.
· Details of outfits.
· Details of accessories.
· Black dandies in their professional environment.
· Black dandies in relationships.
· Black dandies getting dressed/grooming.
· International Black dandies (especially the Caribbean, South America, Africa and/or Europe).
· Black dandies in rural landscapes (especially in the U.S. South).
· Tailors & Designers of Black men's (dandy) fashion.
· The mannerisms and gestures of Black dandies.
· The Suit itself.
Forward submissions and questions to:
Shantrelle P. Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEADLINE: All materials must be received no later than August 15, 2013. (If someone really wants to submit, you may receive a deadline extension... but hurry!)