It's been a long time in the making, but the highly anticipated Lakeside Center -- officially named Samuel J. and Ethel LeFrak Center at Lakeside -- will open before Christmas.
The 26-acre, $74 million restoration and redesign of an underutilized section of Prospect Park will feature a year-round facility that includes two rinks for ice skating, roller skating and water play for each season. It will also offer a café, event space and restrooms year-round.
Pathways around the facility bring visitors to a terrace which overlooks the rinks and the lake beyond.
“We are so excited to be just a few weeks away from Brooklyn residents and visitors being able to enjoy the impressive new facilities at Lakeside’s LeFrak Center,” said Prospect Park Alliance President Emily Lloyd.
Schedule and Pricing:
Entry to the LeFrak Center is free and open to the public. Group and non-profit rates apply and can be found at www.lakesideprospectpark.com along with seasonal and annual passes, and rentals for other items such as helmets, lockers and skate sharpening.
- Entry to the LeFrak Center, café and restrooms is free
- Skating rink admission: $6 weekdays; $8 weekends and holidays
- Skate rentals: $5 per person
- Every Monday (excluding holidays), children 12 and under can enter the rink for free between 3 – 6 p.m. for unlimited skating accompanied by an adult; the $5 skate rental charge applies
Rink & Concession Hours
- Monday - Thursday: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. (for the holidays, from opening day through Jan. 1, the rinks and concessions will remain open until 8 p.m.)
- Friday and Saturday: 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sunday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Following the holiday week when the café will be open daily through Jan. 1, standard hours will be:
- Friday and Saturday: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sunday: 11a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday: closed
- November - March: Ice skating and ice hockey
- April - October: Roller skating
- May - September: Water play area for children and families
The covered rink is available for hockey rental Monday – Thursday from 5 am – 10:45 am and 6:15 – 1 am; Friday and Saturday from 5 – 8:45 am and 10:15 pm – 1am; and Sunday from 5 am – 8:45 am and 8:15 pm – 1 am. When not rented, the rink is open for public skate, lessons and other rentals.
- 8 Week Basic Skills classes designed to teach or expand on the fundamentals of hockey will be offered for all skills and all ages.
- Contact Upsilon Ventures at email@example.com or 212-661-6640 for additional details on hockey rentals and class availability.
Eight Week Learn-to-Skate program, in conjunction with the US Figure Skating Association, will be offered. All skills, all ages. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-661-6640 for availability and additional details.
Birthday Parties and Private Events
Private party rooms, catering and hospitality perfectly suited for hosting special events ranging from children’s birthday parties and charity benefits to elaborate galas and weddings. Contact email@example.com or 212-661-6640 to plan your event or party.